Monday, September 15, 2008

You Find What You're Looking For...

I always knew that I would "write my own love story," based on my perspective.  

When I taught Christa's class this concept, I took a HUGE bunch of gorgeous irises, my favorite flower.  I had half the class come up to the irises and tell me everything good about them.  They listed a bunch of things.  THEN I had the other half of the class come up and tell me everything WRONG with the irises.  They had no problem listing things wrong.

What I always told my kids was that if they wanted to find ways I was a wonderful mom, they'd have plenty to list; but if they wanted to find things wrong they'd be able to do that as well.  You WILL FIND what you are looking for.

Same with your honey:  What are you concentrating on; what are you looking for?  Look for the good things and you will find them.  Purpose to NOT FIND FAULT or things wrong.   Appreciate all the wonderful things about your significant other and CELEBRATE THEM.  

Challenge:  For one week, purpose to be grateful and appreciative of everything your sweetheart is to you.  Focus ONLY on the good things; REFUSE to focus on what you feel is "lacking" in your opinion.  WRITE YOUR LOVE STORY:  make it FUN.  Verbalize everything you appreciate.  Flirt and SAY the things you love about him/her OUT LOUD.  And see how much FUN you can have writing an amazing love story!  It may become a HABIT!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I will definitely use this flower analogy with Kaylee. It's kinda sad to read this blog, being my marriage ended in divorce, but I want to soak up all your words of wisdom and insight so I can be a better mom, friend, daughter, and hopefully one day wife again. I love you Karen! You are such an inspiration!

We Love to Run! said...

I love this because it is so true. If you look for the bad... you will be able to find a million things, but sometimes you just need to force yourself to just see the good. I am going to practice this on Mike, and hopefully he does on me ;) I think I'm gonna like this blog xo bee

~d said...

you taught me this a long time ago and i can't tell you how many times it comes to mind AND out of my mouth to encourage others (u know me a lil encourager)...