Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Deflating Someone's Ego

I realized quickly that my husband does a lot of "guy things" that irritate me.  Some of them, which we won't mention are:

*Jostling around with the kids when we're standing waiting for our table at a restaurant, saying goodbye to people (even dignitaries).
*Does his email on his blackberry while we're on a date.
*Doesn't hear when I ask a question.
*Refuses to ask for directions.
*Talks and asks questions about a movie after you're a half hour into it.
*Asking me to drive and then controls my every movement.
*Talks about inappropriate baby stuff sometimes.
*Gets crazy excited when goofing off with the guys.

Well, I decided a long time ago that I was getting the entire package and I refuse to pick my man apart.  I refuse to take his sometimes annoying and goofy fun and deflate his ego one "pin" at a time.  I picture many husbands as helium balloons on the rise, and then their foolish wives pick pins in their personality, joy, and energy, and sadly, as the air and fun oozes out of their man, and they keep trying to recreate them into the image of what they think they should be, they are left with a crumpled up helium ball all crumpled on the floor.  Then they really complain that he isn't the guy they fell in love with!

Challenge:  Don't pick apart your husband (or WIFE!) one "pin" at a time and deflate their personality, joy, and energy!  Let your man exercise his right to be a guy and make sure your guy knows you're doing that on purpose and you want him to let you exercise your rights and personalities as a woman.  You will find that if you stop trying to change your spouse you will actually enjoy them more!

“But as the Chest of GOD came into the City of David, Michal, Saul’s daughter, happened to be looking out a window. When she saw King David leaping and dancing before GOD, her heart filled with scorn. ...Then everyone went home. David returned home to bless his family. Michal, Saul’s daughter, [his wife] came out to greet him: “How wonderfully the king has distinguished himself today—exposing himself to the eyes of the servants’ maids like some burlesque street dancer!” David replied to Michal, “In GOD’S presence I’ll dance all I want! He chose me over your father and the rest of our family and made me prince over GOD’S people, over Israel. Oh yes, I’ll dance to GOD’S glory —more recklessly even than this. And as far as I’m concerned . . . I’ll gladly look like a fool . . . but among these maids you’re so worried about, I’ll be honored no end.” Michal, Saul’s daughter, was barren the rest of her life.”  (2Sam 6:16-23 MESSAGE)



No comments: